Bennett College Added To Scholarship Recipients
The Branch currently awards scholarships at Marymount University and Trinity of Washington University and wanted to continue offering a third scholarship. Since we could not identify another local institution that would award scholarships directed to women, we pursued an all-women’s college primarily serving women of color and/or financially disadvantaged students as meeting a central DE&I objective for the Branch.
There are no HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) women’s colleges in Virginia, so Bennett College in Greensboro, NC, became our candidate. The board coordinated with the local AAUW Branch and then voted to change our policies. The change was needed to allow us to award a scholarship outside the DC metropolitan area and to fund the $6,000 scholarship this year from our Vanguard reserves. We are so pleased to recognize Bennett College as an institution dedicated to offering educational opportunities to young women striving for a better start in life.
Branch’s Philanthropic Activities
- More than $680,000 has been contributed to national’s AAUW Funds.
- The branch has endowed an American Fellowship at $75,000; an International Fellowship at $100,000; and two Research & Projects Grants at $35,000 each.
- Over our 50 years of fundraising, we have raised over $190,000 supporting scholarships for women returning to college at local universities, as well as funding fellowships and research grants.
- In 2021, the branch distributed over $25,000 for scholarships and awards, including two $6,000 scholarships to women from Marymount University and Trinity of Washington University.
- In 2021, the branch donated $10,000 to the AAUW Greatest Needs Fund in honor of AAUW’s 140th Anniversary.
AAUW meets the highest standards of accountability, program, and cost effectiveness, and has received the Seal of Excellence from Independent Charities of America.